We provide library services to the Houston area that range from outreach events, technology training, classroom instruction and volunteer services. In conjunction with HPL's mission and service priorities, we strive to deliver exceptional customer service while offering programs and services that reflect our city's diversity.
Read more about Community Engagement or jump straight to Mobile Express!
- Check our Services Catalog
- Request an event for your community
- Submit your feedback after your community event
- Our Video Playlist shows the variety of our programs and services
- View our notice for May's events
Camp STREAM is a free, fun-filled summer program for kids and teens of all ages. Kids participate in interactive STREAM activities each day of the week. Let's STREAM for Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts and Math!
New Mobile Express Technology Outreach Lab!
Welcoming the newest member of the Community Engagement Team, the new Mobile Express Technology Outreach Lab! This new Mobile Lab can serve up to 24 participants within its computer lab. The improved classroom flow encourages a comfortable and engaging environment, which gives more to our patrons. Equipped with the latest and greatest mobile technology, the new mobile lab will allow the Community Engagement Team to better serve the community and features a hydraulic lift that makes the lab accessible to everyone. View this video that highlights some of the technology that the Mobile Lab has to offer.
It's our "computer classroom on wheels", a new concept in the delivery of library services, bringing access to technology and a number of programs to high-need neighborhoods. Services provided include literacy programs, workforce development training, computer training, access to technology, homework help, enrichment programs, English as Second Language classes, after school programs, and library card registration.
HPL Mobile Express is equipped with 12 desktop computers, 10 laptops, wi-fi and a large-screen smart board for instruction, various programs, and more. The lab will expand the library’s services outside of the physical buildings, providing access to much-needed workshops and resources to areas with low to moderate income.
Criteria for HPL Mobile Express site visits include:
- Organization’s mission must relate to the mission and objectives of HPL.
- Organization’s programs and services must target underserved populations.
- Location must have adequate parking for the Mobile Express vehicle (dimensions: Length 42’, Width 8’4”, Height 13’6”).
- Location must allow for handicap access. (Mobile Express has handicap accessibility).
- Event or activity MUST consist of at least ten participants.
- Event request's preferred method is by submitting our request form.
- Event requests must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the event date.
- Event requests contain an option for a booth setup if the Mobile Express is unavailable.
- Must complete a “Customer Feedback” form at the completion of the program or service.
Please email requests and inquiries to email@example.com or call 832-393-1533.