If you are looking for a place to take your group for a field trip, consider the Houston Public Library. The Central Library welcomes groups of children and teens to explore all that we have to offer.
|Tours and guided activities||Independent browsing, research, or studying|
|Wednesday and Thursday||Monday-Friday|
|10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
If you would like to schedule a field trip to your neighborhood library, please check our locations page for contact information.
FYI: Group visits to the Central Library
|Storytime (guided)||Recommended for ages 6 - 8|
|Book Care (guided)||Recommended for ages 6 - 8|
|Tour of the Kids Room (guided)||Recommended for ages 6 - 8|
|Library Instruction (guided)||Recommended for ages 8 - 10|
|Browsing the Collection (unguided)||Recommended for ages 6 and up|
|Independent study (unguided)||Recommended for ages 8 and up|
|Tour of Entire Building (guided)||Recommended for ages 8 and up|
|Research and Database Training (guided)||Recommended for ages 10 and up|
|STEM Activities and 3D printer training (guided)||Recommended for ages 12 and up|
If you have specific requests not covered in the options above, please let us know when you book your field trip and we will do our best to accomodate you.
- Our calendar fills up quickly, so please call several weeks in advance.
- You may select from several guided activities, including tours and research/database instruction, and/or unguided use/activities.
- Capacity per visit: 80 youth maximum.
- One chaperone per 10 youth.
- Ex. 8 chaperones: 80 youth.
- Small groups may park in the parking garage undernearth the Central Library for $2/hr.
- Buses must use the designated bus zone. Directions to the designated Bus Zone.
- HISD students already have a Learning Link student account.
- If your group needs library cards, we encourage you to have the youth and their parent or guardian visit their neighborhood Houston Public Library prior to the field trip.
- If you wish to get library cards as a group, here are the required steps:
- Print library card applications from our website.
- Have each child's parent or legal guardian fill out the application in blue or black ink only.
- Bring the signed applications to the Central Library, along with a photocopy of the parent/guardian ID. Please note that the address on the ID must be the current address. If you would like the library cards to be ready on the day of your visit, applications must be completed and submitted at least a week in advance. Students who already have a library card with outstanding fines, will not be eligible for a new card until fines are paid in full.