Clayton Library is located at the corner of Caroline Street and Calumet in Houston's Museum District. The library is four blocks north of Hermann Park, and just across the street from the Holocaust Museum. Driving directions to Clayton from Houston's major freeways can be found here.
- Main Building: Houses the U.S., states, and foreign collections, ready reference material, finding aids, map collection, CD-ROM collection, electronic catalog terminals, and library administrative offices. The library's microprint collection is located on the second floor of this building. Also located on the second floor is the family history collection, the family history vertical files, and a collection of family charts that are normally housed in the Clayton Home.
- Clayton Home: Currently the Clayton Home is open.
Additional General Information
- Parking: Free, lighted parking is provided between the library buildings.
- Security: On-site security is provided during most hours of library operation.
- Lockers: are available in the lobby areas of the main building and the Clayton House.
- Snack Bar: Vending machines, tables and chairs, and a small outside patio area are provided at the main building.
- Photocopy machines: Copy machines are provided on both floors of the main building. Self-service photocopies are $.15 per page. The photocopiers do not accept cash, making copies requires a Houston Public Library Card or Computer Use card.
- Microprint copy machines: Coin-operated machines are available on the second floor of the main building. Self-service copies from microprint are $.25 per page and these machines accept quarters only.
- Change machine: is available on the second floor of the main building.
- Houston Public Library Cards and Computer Use Cards: are available at all HPL locations. At Clayton you obtain them at our Information Desk in the main building.
Clayton Library is staffed by full-time professional librarians and reference assistants. We do, however, utilize part-time volunteers for certain library activities like shelving and special projects. Click here for information on ways to volunteer at Clayton.